All prospective graduate and professional students at The Ohio State University must apply through The Graduate School. The steps provided here are in alignment with those required by the Graduate and Professional Admissions process.
1. Explore Programs
HESA has three degree programs: Master of Arts (M.A.), Doctor of Education (Ed.D), and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D).
2. Know Deadlines and Requirements
Applicants must meet two sets of requirements:
First, Graduate School Requirements
- The equivalent of a four-year bachelor’s or advanced degree from an accredited college or university, earned by the expected date of entry into your graduate program.
- A minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale or equivalent) for the last bachelor’s or advanced degree earned.
- Transcripts or other credentials documenting that you have completed prerequisite academic work.
- Additional requirements for international students
Note: The Graduate School only requires standardized test scores if the program requests it. As of Spring 2019, HESA no longer requires the GRE for admission.
Second, Program Requirements and Deadlines
Please see the specific degree links in Step 1 for more information on program requirements and deadlines.
3. Consider Funding and Financial Aid
The SPA Program sends out assistantship applications to admitted M.A. and Ph.D. students by the end of January. Visit our Applying for Funding page for more information.
Visit Graduate and Professional Admissions for more information on other sources of funding, including fellowships, financial aid, and information for international students.
4. Prepare Required Materials
- Letters of Recommendation
- Identify three individuals to write your recommendations and notify them in advance of your application. They should have academic, supervisory and/or personal knowledge of your capabilities. Your references will receive an automated email request for their letters within five business days of you submitting an application and paying the fee.
- Please submit your application in advance of the deadline so that your recommenders receive the automated request in advance of the deadline.
- We do not accept letters of recommendation before your application is submitted or by mail, absent extenuating circumstances. (Letters of Recommendation FAQ)
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Prepare an updated CV or resume, typed, that includes academic background and accomplishments, relevant professional experiences, other involvement or service experiences, honors and any other information that will help us understand your background and the types of experiences you’ve had.
- The Ohio State University accepts copies of official transcripts only. Please review the Graduate and Professional Admissions transcripts resource for more information.
- Statement of Intent
- M.A. Applicants: Tell us why you are interested in pursuing your graduate studies. In your response, be sure to convey how the features of the HESA Program at OSU align with your professional interests and goals.
- Ed.D. Applicants: (a) Identify a significant, contemporary issue facing student affairs and higher education. (b) Describe why this issue is important to you as a higher education professional. (c) Consider the potential underlying causes of the issue. (d) Discuss the ways in which the HESA program will assist you in addressing this issue.
- Ph.D. Applicants: Tell us why you are interested in pursuing your graduate studies. In your response, be sure to convey how the features of the HESA Program at OSU align with your professional interests and goals. Your statement of intent should also address which possible faculty members you envision working with.
- Note: Prior to submitting your application, you should contact that faculty member to discuss your possible research interests.
5. Apply Online
- Review the online application steps in full to ensure a smooth process
- Navigate to the Educational Studies program application section and select your desired degree program
- Use the left hand menu to learn more. When ready, select ‘Apply.’
- Under ‘Application Deadlines’ select the ‘Apply’ link for the appropriate application term.
- Applicants previously enrolled in a graduate degree program should select “Intra-University Transfer” on the graduate application.
- Applicants previously enrolled in non-degree graduate study who wish to apply to a degree program must submit a regular degree-seeking application.